9/16/10

Vegan Pierogi Power


Yes! I finally got around to making the pierogi from Vegan Brunch! Thanks Madame Moskowitz, another winner!

I felt desperate to make them this week because I am currently in a German language class down the street with many different nationalities, including an Australian man, a Korean woman, a Japanese man, and two lovely Polish women. No one, except for me and the Australian, speak a common language, so in order to communicate we have to cling to our tiny bit of German, along with our national stereotypes. For the Japanese man, for instance, this means that teacher constantly asks him about sushi. (I can only imagine how much he loves that.) For the Polish women, this means that they speak German with a charming, rolling accent ("Trrrotsdem, ich will nach Park gehen") and that we end up talking about Pierogi a lot.

Actually, language school in general is rather charming. No one really knows how to say anything complex enough to be snarky or sexual, so we end up talking like kindergardeners all the time, babbling on about whether we prefer swimming to playing soccer, or what our favorite color is, or what we eat in our home country. Of course, this is all conducted in the sort of German that no actual Berliner would even come close to comprehending, but its fun all the same and I feel like I'm making some progress.

At any rate, after discussing pierogi for the 5th time in class, I thought I'd better break out Vegan Brunch and see what all the fuss was about. And, honestly, these are just lovely. If you've been waiting to make them because they seem like a lot of work, well, that's true. But they are so tasty, especially dressed up with some caramelized onions, salt and pepper, and apples (in lieu of apple sauce.) S. and I gobbled them all up and I assured him I would make more soon. (Maybe next time with the sauerkraut and mushroom variation!)


Luckily for you, the recipe is already online!
However, you should still get Vegan Brunch, because the pancake and sausage recipes are absolutely iconic.

In the meantime, if you decide to try this at home, I would recommend doing it the first time with a partner, because while it is not difficult, like bagels it can be a bit stressful to master at first, particularly in a tiny kitchen. That way, you won't have to throw out a third of the dough because you knock it over into the compost... like some people I know.

Song of the Day: Best Coast- Boyfriend

8 comments:

Mihl said...

Your language class sounds like a lot of fun! I remember those kind of situations when I was in Norway. And I am sure every berliner will understand you guys pretty well!

Those pierogi look wonderful! I want some now.

Jennifer said...

Oh, knocking the dough into the compost sounds like something I would do.

Just Us said...

I agree with Mihl, your language class does sound like a lot of fun. And those pierogi look awesome. Knocking the dough into the compost sounds like something I would totally do...ha I don't have that cookbook, but it seems I may need to get it right away. :o)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I love this book! Your pierogis are gorgeous & look so delicious! I'll have to try making these soon.

adriennefriend said...

Love the song, love the pierogies, love Isa, love you!

Anonymous said...

I love Vegan Brunch too, I can't believe I haven't tried these yet. Maybe I should take a language class to be inspired :)

La Belle Vegan said...

I love topping my pierogi with caramelized onions and a white wine sauce. A lil olive oil, a lil vegan margarine, a lil white wine, and a sprinkle of tarragon reduces into the most delicious sauce you'll ever top anything with.

thanida said...

Thank you so much and please keep update like this informative details.
หวยชุดรัฐบาล